Monday, November 28, 2011

Turkey Pot Pie

I've noticed that it's been a while since I've posted anything (like 5 months).  With me starting school, Jose working full time, and taking care of the boys, my mind has been focused towards other things to say the least.  I love to share my recipes with everyone, and I'm sorry that I've been slacking a little bit!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Coming out of the Thanksgiving weekend, I find that we are using leftovers for EVERYTHING! I love turkey but I find that I have Bubba from Forest Gump playing on repeat in my head
"You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, turkey-kabobs, turkey creole, turkey gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple turkey, lemon turkey, coconut turkey, pepper turkey, turkey soup, turkey stew, turkey salad, turkey and potatoes, turkey burger, turkey sandwich." 
There is one way, however, that seems to never get old.   Turkey pot pie... a meal that just reminds me of comfort and family!  Now I'm not going to lie..... I do use ONE shortcut in here, Cream of Mushroom Soup. The cat is out of the bag!!! =]

Turkey Pot Pie
2-3 cups chopped turkey (it really depends on you, I like to have A LOT of turkey in mine!]
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup frozen peas
(2) 10.5 oz cans of Cream of Mushroom soup
1/3 c. milk
Splash heavy whipping cream
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 egg beaten with water for egg wash
Pastry for 10-inch two crust pie, prepared or purchased

Directions
1.  Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. In a large bowl, combine turkey, carrots, peas, soup, milk, whipping cream, and salt and pepper until combined.
3. Prepare pie crust; Roll 2/3 of the pastry big enough to ease into ungreased 10-inch pie pan
4. Pour turkey mixture into the pastry-lined pan
5.  Roll remaining pastry into an 11- inch circle, place over filling; turn edges under, crimp and cut a couple slits on the top. 
     ** I like to use the leftover dough with leaf cookie cutters to make a pretty design on the top**
6. Brush on egg wash mixture.
7. Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 45-55 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment