Sunday, May 1, 2011

spinach and cheese quiche with potato crust.


I love quiche...... Any kind of quiche...! I really wanted to show that even if you don't know how to make a pie crust, or if you can't afford to buy strictly fresh veggies, you can still make a really yummy quiche!  I used potatoes for the crust because I am running REALLY low on flour and I also used canned chopped spinach. Would I have liked to use fresh? Of course, but times are hard so you kind of have to use what you got! The quiche turned out really yummy, and I really liked the potato crust!  This recipe is really versatile, you can add whatever vegetables you like, meat.... the possibilities are endless!


Potato Crust Quiche
3 tablespoons vegetable oil ( I had olive oil on hand, so I used that)
3 cups shredded raw potato (be sure to pat the potatoes as dry as you can get them, it makes the potatoes crispier!)
1 cup grated cheese
1 cup vegetable(s) of choice (if using canned vegetables, drain)
1 cup milk (you may use evaporated milk or even heavy cream for a richer quiche)
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon pepper
salt to taste
Optional:
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
3 cloves garlic, chopped

Directions:
Preheat oven 425 F
1.  Mix potatoes and vegetable oil in a 9 inch pie pan and press evenly into pie crust shape. Bake for 15 minutes until it just begins to brown.Remove from oven.
2.  Layer on cheese and vegetables.
3.  In a bowl, beat together milk, eggs, and seasonings.  Pour egg mixture over other ingredients and bake for about 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
4.  Allow to cool for 5 minutes before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment